Book Review - My Last Love Story by Falguni Kothari

My Last Love Story by Falguni Kothari is a shattering, exciting and moving account of three friends dealing with a personal misfortune. It is at stake, not just a love story but a possible debate on the possibility of choice and freedom. The author has touched a sensitive subject that probably few have done before her.

Thirty year old Simeen Desai, who desires nothing more than a calm existence must put one more boulder over her mind and look at her companion, Nirvaan, give in to cancer. She will do no matter what it takes to craft Nirvaan’s ending months in high spirits. She have an IVF child, she doesn’t yearn for. She breathe in a nonphysical ménage with their youth buddy, Zayaan Khan, even though it strikes trepidation in her mind.

As Nirvaan’s health deteriorates, and his demands on his wife and best friend grow impossible and intrusive, Simeen is left wondering if any of it is worth it, life, soul mates or an epic love story. The battle of Simeen is a battle for life, Nirvaan's life. The purpose of Nirvaan, from the moment the girl breaks into his daily life, is to make her life better, regardless of his presence.

First of all the author wrote a novel with a lovely taste of truth and a full lightness of feeling, which is a difficult and painful subject with great sensitivity and without any rhetoric. The characters have their strength and leave no one indifferent.

I think it was love at first sight. Not one between the protagonists, but the one between me and this book. I do not know. The fact is that I can finally say that this book has destroyed me into pieces and then immediately began to rebuild me without me knowing it really.

The simplicity and strength of the book have managed to involve me as if Nirvaan and Simeen’s decisions depended on me, or as if they were to completely change my life which, after all, is true. I had the scenes of the book, the phrases, on my head throughout the day and I must admit that the very thought of this has reassured me in a strange way.

When for some reason I feel annoyed, nervous, behold, at that time I managed to get a slight feeling of calm due to this book. And I'll be honest, as all this can only make me love even more this book. The legend says that opposites attract. Despite these words, however, all opposites have something similar. And this something leads them to be in perfect harmony with one another, as has happened slowly with the two protagonists.

The book does not present all the issues with heaviness that sometimes would be reasonable to expect. It manages to keep a climate, if so you can define fairly light. It is easy for the reader to get lost among the events past and present of the two protagonists, and all those that enrich the story.

This book manages to highlights many problems to which we often do not think about. It is not just a troubled and logistically complex love story, but it is more with the story of an overturned life, to become uncontrollable lives from themselves.

The theme that is expressed in many shades, try to enclose also the thoughts of all those who are around the protagonists, also including them, of course. Of course the book focuses more on the part about love, but certainly the book doesn’t ends there. It all seems so permanent as if we were in a bubble, but we are not at all as if similar situations were light years away from us.
Next Post Previous Post